A basic workspace in FME is constructed and laid out strictly to the concept of ETL: Extract-Transform-Load
However, there are multiple other methods for constructing more advanced workspaces, and for directing the flow of data through a workspace in unique ways.
Some example uses for these techniques might be:
- To design large-scale workspaces a small section at a time
- To read data from multiple formats within a single workspace
- To carry out actions after a dataset has been written
- To use data stored on web services
- To test run individual parts of a workspace