This module introduced you to FME and investigated the basics of FME data translations.
What You Should Have Learned from this Module
The following are key points to be learned from this session:
FME is a tool to translate and transform data, with an emphasis on spatial data.
FME Workbench is an application to graphically define a translation and the flow of data within it. The definition of a translation is known as a workspace and can be saved to a file for later use.
Quick Translation is the technique of carrying out a translation generated by FME, without further editing.
The Generate Workspace dialog is the primary method by which a quick translation can be set up in FME Workbench.
Data Inspection is a technique for checking and verifying data before, during, and after a translation. The FME Data Inspector is a tool for inspecting data.
- The ability to open a workspace in FME Workbench and run it
- The ability to start FME Workbench and set up a quick translation
- The ability to start the FME Data Inspector, and to open and add datasets
- The ability to navigate a dataset and to query features within it
- The ability to control Data Inspector symbology and display characteristics
- The ability to set background maps in the Data Inspector