GROUND RULES, CONT.
3. The camera pits located in the dugouts are dead.
4. The railings along the first and third base lines are in play. If a ball bounces over the railing and into
Midwest League 2019 67
the stands, it is dead.
5. Tarps: If a ball rolls into, under or behind the tarps, it is dead. Balls deflecting off the tarps are in
play. A player may not use the tarp as a step to make a play. Any diving on or over to make a play is
permitted. No elevation allowed on tarp.
6. If any ball gets lodged underneath or in between the steel steps on each side of the dugout, the ball
is dead. A player may not use the steel steps to make a play.
7. Bullpens: All fair balls hit or thrown into the bullpen area are live except those that become lodged
beneath the bullpen benches. Lodged balls are dead. All chairs are to remain up against the wall.
8. Outfield wall: Any batted ball that clears the metal railing above the wall is a home run with
the exception of the left and right field exposed concrete walls, next to each foul pole. A ball is
considered a home run in those areas if the batted ball clears the top of either concrete wall. If a
ball becomes lodged between or under padding, it is dead.
9. Any batted ball that hits any part of the foul pole is a home run.
10. The ball must clear the batter’s eye for it to be a home run. If a ball hits any part of the batter’s eye
it is in play. The horn on top of the batter’s eye is in play.
11. Center field: If the ball becomes lodged under the gate in center field, or goes through a gap in the
gate on a fly or bounce, it is dead and ruled a double.
12. Center field: If the ball lands in the camera window inside the batters eye, it is ruled a double.
13. The stadium bridge between the video board and batters eye is recessed. If a batted ball hits any
part of the bridge and bounces back into play, it is considered a home run.
14. The Barefoot Wine Party Patio Sign is even with the outfield metal railing. Any batted ball that hits
the sign and bounces back into play is live.
WEST MICHIGAN WHITECAPS
Fifth Third Ballpark – Comstock Park, MI
1. No break in homeplate screen.
2. Dugout facia and dugout poles out of play.
3. Dugout area: Catch ball in play; feet must remain in play and in line with protective screen; if player
crosses line, play is dead.
4. Low wall and railing at the end of dugout corner inside of protective screen out of play.
5. Railing on top of box seat wall out of play.
6. Box seat wall in play except area behind low wall at end of dugout.
7. No climbing on tarp or tarp cylinder (3rd base side).
8. Play baseballs as per rule with bullpen benches.
9. Baseball hit over centerfield batter’s eye must clear 2’ extension
above 8’ wall; if not clearing – ball is in play.
10. Rightfield Deck: Baseball must clear extension for homerun; if not clearing – ball is in play.
11. Leftfield Deck: Baseball must clear extension for homerun; if not clearing - ball is in play.
12. Fly ball or bouncing baseball striking and remaining in padded billboard: Ground Rule Double.
13. Baseball bouncing over outfield wall after landing in fair territory: Ground Rule Double.
14. Batted or thrown baseball reaching 1st and 3rd base concrete runways out of play: One base
15. Batted or thrown baseball remaining on warning track between 1st and 3rd base concrete runways: In play.
16. Foul poles are outside of playing field.
17. Batted baseball striking any portion of the foul pole and/or foul pole screen: Homerun.