KPMG framework: Disruptive technology value map
(Investment versus impact model)
Data and analytics
- Receive high investment and generate strong impact today.
- Reached an initial phase of business maturity but remain innovative and challenging to master.
- Mobile, cloud and D&A fall into table stakes and are enabling other technologies like 5G mobility.
- Generates strong impact, but no longer requires high investment.
- Receives medium-to-low investment, but still delivers value.
- Social media is a key tool that can inform strategic and operational decisions by providing real time information on network performance and customer perspectives.
Digital payments & currency
On demand marketplace platforms
Artificial intelligence & cognitive
- Receive medium levels of targeted investment and have begun to generate medium levels of impact as well.
- Telecom firms are more likely to invest in sunrise technologies. These technologies are improving operational quality and providing new monetization opportunities like becoming a payment agent.
- Receive significant investment today in the hopes of strong impact tomorrow.
- High investment and medium-to-low on impact.
- Marketing platforms have become a vital tool for customer acquisition and retention.
- Receive lower levels of targeted investment and have yet to generate serious impact, but are seen as potential future stars.
- Telecom firms are getting a lot cost benefits from robotics today, but there is even more potential that is to be realized in the next few years. Blockchain has the potential to be the next generation technology behind digital identity, payments and currencies.
Source: "From Dumb Pipes To Digital Powerhouses", a commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of KPMG, January 2016.
*Source: Based on KPMG International market insights.
©2016 KPMG International Cooperative ("KPMG International"). KPMG International provides no client services and is a Swiss entity with which the independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated.