Subscribe to RSS

This screen will have a check list that you will have to read through to make sure you provide the correct answers. You will then be directed to a screen that allows you to input the appropriate reference number. If you don’t have your V11 and are using your V5C reference number, you will need to use the second option.
This will show a summary of the information you have input, including the details about your car, your chosen tax period and the card number being used for the payment. You will then be shown a confirmation of your tax disc order, which will also include information such as your reference number, your vehicle registration mark, the date you made the application, the make of your vehicle, the start date of your licence, the cost and length of your tax and the final 4 digits of your payment card. You can also apply for your car tax by visiting your local Post Office that provides this service. Calling the above number will cost 7p per minute plus anything on top of your call operators charges.
So when you hire a car, you will need to visit the DVLA* website before you pick your car up, in case the counter staff need to see this information. This affects you if you’re planning to drive a hire car and your driving licence (whether paper or photocard) was issued in England, Wales or Scotland.
If you have a photocard licence, you shouldn’t need your paper counterpart ever again. We can tell you what some car hire companies require, so you know exactly what you need to do before you travel.
Different companies might prefer different ways of checking, which is why the DVLA is giving them three options – but don’t worry!
You could log in to the website at the counter, as long as you know your National Insurance number, postcode and driving licence number. It’s possible that the staff won’t ask for your code, print-out or counterpart, but why take the risk? From Monday June 8, the paper part of the UK driving licence – which shows details of restrictions and penalties – will be scrapped. The effect of the changeover is likely to be worst for those hiring cars, because hire companies could want to access the DVLA's site to check drivers' full records.
Keep and take with you your old printed counterpart anyway, just in case the car hire firm expects to see it (and doesn't know about the change). Before you travel, log in to the DVLA's site and print off an updated PDF version of your licence, including penalty details. In order to get your licence details via the DVLA's site and request a check code you'll need three bits of information: your full licence number (which usually begins with all or part of your name), your National Insurance number and your postcode. The car hire firm enters the check code, along with several of the letters and digits from your licence number, in order to view your whole licence. You could of course log in from the airport or car hire desk if you forget or can't do this beforehand – but you'll need internet access. It's not clear how many hire firms know about the change, or would want to go to the length of making the full licence check in any case.
The DVLA has stated that car rental companies will be able to check driver details via its free online Share Driving Licence service, which will be available before the paper counterpart is abolished. Even if you know you do not have any endorsements, it is vital to do the above, as you'll need to present it to us along with your photocard driving licence when you come to pick up the car.
We also recommend that you take a note of your National Insurance number and take it with you, just in case you need to access your driving details unexpectedly. If the DVLA successfully launches its Share Driving Licence service on-time, you should be able to generate a one-time code that will allow the car rental company to access the details - check the DVLA website nearer the 8th June for more details. 12:07 pm December 5, 2013 By Julian Horsey After more than 90 years in service the UK Government has this week announced that they will be scrapping the paper car tax disk system, and stop sending out paper discs for UK residents to display their car windscreens. The UK car tax disc was introduced way back in 1921 but the UK Government say it is no longer needed with the DVLA and Police will now start using an electronic register to check motorists are fully paid up.
The move to the new system will also save the UK tax payer around ?7 million in admin costs and remove the need to post out thousands of tax disks to UK drivers. The new 65 series registration number plates was introduced in the UK just over a week ago.
Why are we getting new 65 series number plates? Each year two sets of new registration plates are introduced into the UK via the DVLA at Swansea.
If you would like to purchase a new 65 series number plate click here and view our huge database of cherished number plates. From 1 October 2015 it will be illegal to smoke in a car (or other vehicles) with anyone under 18 present. A survey has found that 62% of Britains admit to speeding – making it the most common law to break.
The punishments for these laws vary from fines and points on your licence to months behind bars.
You may shrug this off – if you don’t take drugs, you don’t have anything to worry about, right?
A Freedom of Information request carried out by the IAM earlier this month found that a whopping 902 arrests have already been made by police under new drug-driving laws. As part of the new laws, police are now carrying a ‘drugalyser’ to screen for cannabis and cocaine at the roadside.
If you’re caught driving under the influence of drugs, you could face a hefty fine, a driving ban and even time in prison. Did you know that HGVs can now drive at 50mph on single carriageway roads across England and Wales, and 60mph on dual carriageways? Introduced in April 2015, the increased speed limits (up 10mph from 40mph on single carriageways and 50mph on dual carriageways) were part of a modernisation of outdated legislation. At the time, it was said that actual average speeds were unlikely to change, meaning there was unlikely to be an adverse effect on road safety. In a bid to make London safer for cyclists, a new law being introduced later this year on 1 September will ensure all lorries and construction vehicles over 3.5 tonnes are fitted with essential safety equipment.
This includes extra mirrors to give drivers a better view of cyclists and pedestrians around their vehicles, as well as side guards to protect cyclists from being dragged under the wheels. If the Metropolitan Police, City of London Police or Driver Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) catch you driving a non-compliant lorry through London after 1 September, you could be hit with a ?50 penalty notice or a fine of up to ?1,000 at Magistrates Court. Smoking in work vehicles has been illegal since 2007, but from October it’ll be against the law to light up in a car carrying anyone under the age of 18.
Apparently three million children are exposed to secondhand smoke in cars, so a campaign will be introduced later in the year to make people aware of the change in the law. Penalties for breaking the new regulations are yet to be confirmed, but it’s likely ?50 tickets will be handed out to anyone caught flouting the ban.
Previously, if you were charged with a summary motoring offence that couldn’t be dealt with through a fixed penalty notice (or you wanted to dispute it), you had to attend court to argue your case. But following a successful trial in Greater Manchester, the Government is rolling out a new ‘Make a Plea’ service.
Motoring offences are the first to be dealt with using the ‘Make a Plea’ service – but the Government is now considering rolling it out across all minor offences. This has been widely publicised, but there are still many who are oblivious to the new laws surrounding car tax.
Police, as they have done for a long time, will be able to find out if a car’s taxed using their national computer. Many haven’t cottoned on to the new system, and a lot of used cars are still being advertised as taxed. This means you’ll have to share your licence online with your employer if you need to drive a work vehicle, or request a unique code to share it with hire car companies. The official advice from the DVLA is to tear up and throw away your paper licence – but motoring organisations have said you should keep hold of it. In May the DVLA informed members of the public about the new Share Driving Licence service, which puts British driving licence holders firmly in control of who they share their most up to date driving licence information with. The service allows users to generate a check code  which they can share with a third party in order to prove their entitlement to drive – for example in response to a request from their employer, or when hiring a vehicle.
Since the abolition of the counterpart driving licence on 8th June 2015, the service has been in public beta. Some of the feedback the DVLA have had highlights that for some, the 72 hours validity period when you generate a check code is not long enough.

DVLA  plan to review this in three months once they have had sufficient further feedback from users and industry.
As informed in previous posts as from today June 8th 2015 the Driving Licence Counterpart is no more. As part of the government’s Red Tape Challenge initiative to remove unnecessary burden, DVLA will no longer issue the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence.
As a member of the Motor Industry and also a prominent cherished number plate dealer we also like to keep our customers up to date with changes that happen within the Motor Industry. I have listed below a range of services that you can do online which saves you time and is instant. The ‘Share Your Licence’ service will be available spring 2015 and should be used by both paper and photocard licence holders. Drivers applying online will see the fee for a provisional driving licence fall from ?50 to ?34 and online renewals after 10 years fall from ?20 to ?14. The new card has a refreshed design incorporating a host of improved security features to keep the driving licence secure. If you buy a brand new vehicle, the dealer will usually take care of all the necessary arrangements to register it to you.
You should have a vehicle registration certificate (known as the V5C) if you are the registered keeper of a vehicle. Buying a used vehicle is a serious business and while there is no guarantee that you won’t be a victim of vehicle crime, knowing your consumer rights will help. From 1 October 2014 DVLA stopped issuing paper tax discs and you no longer have to display it on a vehicle windscreen. You will still need to get tax to drive or keep a vehicle on the road and DVLA will still send you a renewal reminder when your tax is due for renewal. When you buy a vehicle from a dealer, the dealer will automatically tax it when you register your details with DVLA. DVLA’s online vehicle tax service allows customers to buy vehicle tax 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, online or by automated phone. Around 3 weeks before your tax runs out, you should get a reminder (V11) from DVLA, unless you have a Direct Debit in place and do not notify DVLA of changes. DVLA compares its record with details of vehicles on the Motor Insurance Database to identify uninsured vehicles. It is an offence to keep a taxed vehicle without insurance – if you’re the registered keeper, you could get fined. Motorists still need to ensure they have a valid insurance policy, but DVLA will not check this when you tax a vehicle. If you are heading abroad for your holiday this year then this is a must that you need to do if you intend on hiring a car to drive abroad whilst you are on your holiday. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is scrapping the paper counterpart that accompanies all UK plastic photocard licences.
Information about penalty points for traffic violations such as speeding will be held only on the DVLA’s database, and will have to be checked online, by phone or by post.From June 8, holidaymakers heading abroad will have to log on to the DVLA website the day before and put in their driving licence number to obtain a special code to give to their car hire company when they arrive at the desk. Concerns are growing that the introduction of these new rules could mean people being turned away because many car hire firms abroad will still insist on examining the paper document to check for endorsements or bans. Motorists will also be able to download their driving history as a printable PDF file, although it is unclear whether all car hire firms will accept that, or how drivers without access to a computer will cope. Back in February I posted about the Abolition of the photocard driving licence counterpart. From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will not be valid and will no longer be issued by DVLA. If you already hold a paper counterpart, after 8 June 2015 it will no longer have any legal status.
If you have a paper driving licence which was issued before the photocard driving licence was introduced in 1998 these will remain valid so do not destroy them.
The DVLA has a free service that lets you see what details are on your driving licence and also includes what vehiciles you are allowed to drive and if you have any penalty points. If you are an organisation or business that rely on the counterpart to check the driving record of customers or employees then the free online Share Driving Licence service will be available before the counterpart is abolished.
From yesterday  9th March 2015 it will now cost you less to retain your cherished number plate.
This change sees the removal of the ?25 fee currently in place to renew the retention of a vehicle registration number on an annual basis.
Customers will see a significant reduction in turnaround times following the introduction of this service. Today also sees DVLA launching its online ‘Take a Registration Number off a Vehicle’ service which allows keepers and the motor trade to apply to retain a number online. From 8 June 2015, the photocard licence counterpart will not be valid and will no longer be issued by DVLA. When DVLA stops issuing the counterpart, you should destroy yours but you still need to keep your current photocard driving licence. Entitlements and the status of your driving licence won’t change.
These will remain valid, and should not be destroyed. The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.
From 8 June 2015 penalty points (endorsements) will no longer be shown on driving licences.
DVLA is developing new digital enquiry services for launch later this year that will allow organisations and businesses (such as employers and car hire companies) to view information they can currently see on the driving licence counterpart. These new services will be offered in addition to the existing services, but are designed for those who have a business need for real-time access to the information, and may not wish to call DVLA or be in a position to use an intermediary. Driving licence information via these services will only be made available to those who have a right to see it, and with the knowledge of the driving licence holder.
The driving licence counterpart was introduced in 1998 to display information that could not fit on the photocard driving licence. All qualified instructors will display a green DSA (Driving Standards Agency) badge in their windscreen.
You need to be 17 to start learning to drive and have a valid provisional licence before you take your first driving lessons. You can apply for a provisional licence up to three months before your 17th birthday, therefore you could book your first driving lesson for the big day!
I offer a range of lessons which include the complete beginner, pupils who are partly trained, Refresher lessons, Intensive Courses and pass Plus. Pass Plus is a scheme designed by the Driving Standards Agency, with the help of the motor insurance and driving instruction industries. The scheme helps new drivers gain valuable experience to help develop existing skills, learn new skills and techniques, improve anticipation and awareness, learn how to reduce the risk of accidents and maintain a courteous and considerate attitude on the road.
Remember to remove the spaces when typing your reference number in and there is an image that shows where you will find your reference number. The first box is for your vehicle registration mark, which needs to be entered without spaces. If there are any issues, there are two links below the table that can be used, depending on the areas that are incorrect.
It is worth double checking you have chosen the correct option and that the price is correct. It offers you a link to join the NHS Organ Donor Register as well as more information about doing so. To check, simply select the region you are visiting and the company supplying your car using the drop-down boxes below.
You want to be certain nothing will go wrong – and if you follow the steps on this page, nothing will! This means that car rental suppliers will no longer be able to check them for endorsements (penalty points), as they will only be recorded electronically.
However, in case there are problems with the service, drivers should take precautions to ensure they can still present the required information at the rental desk. To do this, visit the DVLA website to view your driving licence information and print it out.

UK drivers will still be able to pay for their car tax is Post Offices and online, you just will no longer receive a tax disk.
The first two letters on a registration plate indicate where the vehicle was registered, not where it was built. The law is changing to protect children and young people from the dangers of secondhand smoke. The law applies to every driver in England and Wales, including those aged 17 and those with a provisional driving licence. This puts them at risk of serious conditions including meningitis, cancer, bronchitis and pneumonia. It still applies if people have the windows or sunroof open, have the air conditioning on, or if they sit in the open doorway of the vehicle.
But the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) has warned that a number of new laws being introduced this year could mean that thousands of motorists may break the law accidentally. Thousands of people could be facing driving bans, hefty fines and even imprisonment by unintentionally driving under the influence of drugs.
Even if drivers pass this test, they may still be required to attend a police station to be tested for ecstasy, LSD, ketamine, heroin and other drugs. Not only was this inconvenient, it meant magistrates spent a lot of time dealing with minor motoring offences.
This means motorists can make their case online through a secure website 24 hours a day, using a variety of devices, without having to attend court. That is not the case, and you could find yourself in trouble if you assume a secondhand car comes with tax. This will spread the cost over 12 months, meaning you won’t have to budget for six months’ tax when buying a secondhand car. The photocard driving licence introduced in 1998 is still valid, but all records of points and penalties will be kept online, rather than on your paper counterpart licence.
Despite not being valid, it might be easier to show it when hiring a car abroad than trying to explain the new regulations to a disinterested hire car company worker. It’s clear that some users want the check code to last longer – particularly those who need it when they are travelling and so the DVLA have listened. This means that from today, existing paper counterparts will no longer be valid and should be destroyed.
Most new V5Cs are now red but some older ones may not be – to check the V5C is the latest issued use the DVLA enquiry service. DVLA send the V5C to the registered keeper, normally the person responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle. DVLA hold a digital record of taxed and untaxed vehicles and do not need you to have a paper disc as proof you have paid vehicle tax.
Alternatively, the option of licensing at the Post Office Ltd remains, for those who prefer to visit a Post Office® branch. If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, they will automatically give a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax to the registered keeper. As posted previously the DVLA are axing the Counterpart Driving Licence from June 8th 2015 and Britons heading to Europe on holiday are facing the nightmare of arriving at their destination and not being able to hire a car, thanks to this controversial driving licence shake-up.
But consumers booking car hire for holidays after June have not been warned the new rules are being introduced.
The counterpart was introduced to display driving licence details that could not be included on the photocard.
You should destroy your paper counterpart after this date but you still need to keep your current photocard driving licence. Should you need to update any of your personal details or renew your licence, when you apply for this then you will only be issued with a photocard driving licence. This service is currently in development but will be available before the counterpart is abolished in June and once we have details I will post on here.
Instead of the old fee of ?105 it will now only cost you ?80 to retain your personalised number plate.
DVLA systems will be updated in real time and the service will provide instant confirmation that the application has been successful. The vehicle registration certificate (V5C) with the replacement registration number and retention certificate is issued by post to the registered keeper on DVLA’s records.
The service will be launched as private beta and rolled out to the trade only for a 2-week period. This information will be held on DVLA’s driver record, and can be checked online, by phone or post. Those in circulation after this date will no longer have any legal status and should be destroyed. For most drivers there simply isn’t a need to have this information on a piece of paper when it is now freely and easily available online.
Complete a D1 form from the post office and send it to the DVLA (DVLNI in Northern Ireland) with your passport or birth certificate, and a passport-sized photo. You will then need to enter your V5C document reference number in the second box, again with no spaces. You can also opt to input your email address and mobile phone number, but this isn’t required. The screen will detail the total cost to your credit card, which incurs an additional charge. If your region or supplier are not listed, we recommend that you take your licence check code anyway, for your own peace of mind, if it is requested. The first letter stands for the region the vehicle was registered and the second represents a local DVLA office. The next two letters are the same for every vehicle registered in that time period. The law states that “it’s illegal in England and Wales to drive with legal drugs in your body if it impairs your driving”. Instead, when you buy a car, you’ll have to buy tax straight away – either at the Post Office, online, or via the DVLA’s 24-hour automated phone system.
Of course, it can be cancelled at any time, putting the user in control of when their record can be accessed and by whom. The service is quick, easy and saves a great deal of time and effort. Motor insurance policies are no longer checked when you tax your vehicle, saving you further time. The terms and conditions of most car hire firms still explicitly state that paper counterparts must be produced.
The service is for both paper and photocard driving licence holders and will also allow you to download a summary of your licence record which can be printed or shared. There will no longer be a replacement MOT certificate issued to the keeper as the original remains valid. After 17 years of dutifully doing its job the counterpart will be abolished on ­8 June 2015. It also saves drivers from paying ?20 to replace a lost or damaged counterpart. The decision to abolish the counterpart was as a result of the government’s Red Tape Challenge consultation on road transportation.
Some driving schools place learners with a trainee instructor - with a pink DSA badge, and still charge full lesson rates without revealing that the instructor isn't fully qualified.
The new registration plates will use 65, while registration plates from 1st March 2015 use 15. The final three letters are random and give the vehicle a unique identity.
You don’t have to buy vehicle tax if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (e.g.
It also aligns to DVLA’s Strategic Plan which includes commitment to simplifying our services.
A SORN will remain in force until DVLA is notified that a vehicle is taxed, sold, scrapped or exported.

Gm vin history motorcycle
Used car dealer east brunswick nj

Comments to «Car check uk dvla licence»

  1. reper writes:
    Vehicle agencies, public sale websites for autos including salvage.
  2. RASMUS writes:
    Your earlier coverage with?us or perhaps a earlier run.
  3. prince757 writes:
    Provide NMVTIS reports to the public in step.
  4. Nasty_Girl writes:
    Write off by an insurance coverage company the free VIN.