First aid for wards free download,best new business books amazon,survival skills every man should know 2014,worm bin bucket challenge - PDF Books

Note: This picture gives us a pretty good idea of how the unit and each man was equipped before going overseas. Thomas Beals initialy served in the 159th Depot Brigade, a replacement training unit at Camp Zachary Taylor prior to transfering to Vet. The above is a photo of the Memorial Brick at the Walk of Honor at the Liberty Memorial (National WWI Museum) in Kansas City, Mo. The officers have adopted themselves to conditions promptly and have rendered efficient service.
Remained at Pontanezen Barracks, doing various kinds of fatigue duty and drill until November 16th. The Officers and men have been quartered in wooden barracks, heated by stoves and lighted by candles and lanterns, with simple ventilation.
One of the barrack buildings was converted into a Mess-hall, garrison ranges secured, tables etc., airy, well ventilated and lighted mess-hall.
Bath-houses have been constructed with shower baths, which afford ample hot water for all men. Now that the weather is more settled, baseball teams have been organized, basketball, volleyball, tennis etc. The Medical Department consisting of one 1st Lieutenant and eleven men work in connection with that of Veterinary Hospital No. Other than drill, time has been devoted mostly to treatment of hospital cases and stable management. One Summary Court Case to date, no conscientious objectors, alien enemies, deserters or men AWOL, disciplinary section has been handled by Commanding Officer, and for minor offenses, company punishment and confinement to Camp, results of which have been satisfactory. It might be of interest to mention that after this Hospital was organized at Camp Lee, and awaiting orders to proceed overseas, that in the month of October, Spanish Influenza broke out in Camp, and this Company was forced to transfer men to units ordered overseas, receiving in return men sick in the Hospital at the time, of which there was a total of seventeen (17) deaths.
The total strength of the Organization to date is six (6) Veterinary Officers and one (1) Medical Officer, Two Hundred eighty-four (284) enlisted men of the Veterinary Corps and nine (9) enlisted men of the Medical Corps.
As to the hospital, it’s administration, location, progress, nature of work undertaken, results obtained etc., refer to report of Veterinary Hospital No.
Above is a document showing he was stricken with the Spanish Influenza while at Camp Lee on October 7, 1918. Note: I would like to thank Gene for finally solving the mystery on the location of Veterinary Hospital No 15.
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF VETERINARY HOSPITAL NO 11 ON THEIR WEBPAGE FOR MORE GREAT INFORMATION. In writing the History of the 11th Veterinary Hospital we are using a few dates as possible, merely giving the beginning, the progress and conclusion briefly with dates sufficient to leave a record that will be intelligible to those into whose hands it may perchance fall in the future. The 11th Veterinary Hospital’s beatitude, or heavenly happiness, has been “work without ceasing” since the day of its organization.
The first shipment of horses arrived the 20th of August, 1918, which consisted of 152 unclassified animals with every imaginable ailment from having a shoulder severed by shrapnel to starvation and mange. It is this continued progress that constitutes the charm of the 11th Veterinary Hospital’s history; because one sees in it the unusual or the exception to the rule. It is an established fact that the 11th Veterinary Hospital has made a most marvelous record and therefore reflects favorably upon the men who compose it, the Commanding Officer and his staff who manage it and Chief Veterinarian, Colonel Merchant of Tours, under whose guidance it is operated. Veterinary Hospital No 11 is located about 60 kilometers northwest of the geographic centre of France, 300 feet above sea level, in an east suburb of the small town of Gievres, Department of Loir-et-Cher, on the main highway running east and west between Tours and Bourges.
Historically it is of interest to note that this immediate site was occupied several hundred years before the birth of Christ by the ancient Celts or Gauls who migrated, it is supposed, from central Asia and advanced westward to the very shores of the Atlantic. The site of the 11th Veterinary Hospital comprises about fifty acres, in the shape of a rectangle, the long side of which is about three times that of the short side, parallel with and adjacent to the south side of the public highway running east and west from Tours to Bourges. The eastern part of the Hospital is occupied by the barracks, mess halls, bath house, Officers’ quarters, barber shop and Infirmary. In a short while the light houses making the entrance of the English Channel were in view and about 6 o’clock the Susquehanna anchored in the harbor of Brest and on the morning of August 7th the 11th Veterinary Hospital Unit set foot for the first time on French soil with its full strength of Command in good health, happy and in the best of spirits. At this time there were no barracks or stables erected either at the remount or the site now occupied bt the 11th Veterinary Hospital.
At this time the Hospital had under treatment 1500 animals, and immediately an order to double the original capacity of 1000 animals was received so the task of building 20 more stables, exactly like those first built (108’ x 24’) covered with corrugated iron) confronted the Unit.
On October 8th Lieutenant Low with 50 men evacuated the first lot of 400 animals to Veterinary Hospital No 9 at St. The following table shows the changes in strength of Command from August 12th 1918 to January 31st 1919.
For the first 83 days, or nearly half the time since date of organization, the daily average of Command has been 200 men, while the daily average of animals treated during the same period was about 1500. In the large operating room there were two “Simplicity Equine” Operating tables of the No 3 model. The animals for treatment are brought direct to the Hospital from the cars about 1.5 Miles distance on the P.
Each animal is sent to an isolation ward, clipped closely, then sent to the large 5000 gallon dipping vat where they are baptized in a solution of lime and sulphur prepared especially for the treatment of mange. Five and a half months operation of the Veterinary Hospital has demonstrated both its advantages and disadvantages, climatically, topographically and geographically.
Notwithstanding the low altitude here as contrasted the high altitude of the western part of the United States (from where most of the 11th Veterinary men came) the Unit as a whole has had most excellent health. It is remarkable fact that in the handling of 10,302 animals not a serious casualty has happened. At this time, January 31st the Hospital is being conducted along the usual lines keeping in view the fact that it is rumored that it will soon be turned over to the French and the Organizations here returned to the United States and discharged.
NOTE: I would like to thank Eugene Beals for the above write-up and History of Veterinary Hospital No 11, It is a very nice write-up and history of Veterinary Hospital No 11 and 15. Thomas Beals initially served in the 159th Depot Brigade, a replacement training unit at Camp Zachary Taylor prior to transferring to Vet. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A LOOK AT VETERINARY HOSPITAL NO 15's WEBPAGE FOR MORE GREAT INFORMATION AND PICTURES.
Are you ready to be a crazy virtual surgeon and treat head injuries & transplant patients' hair? In this fun top app you will have best surgery experience with cool surgery tools available in the doctors' clinic. Selfie collage frames 2016 is the latest photo collage maker, very professional, total FREE 100%. Selfie collage frames 2016 is the best collage maker and photo editor that helps you combine one or multiple photos with various frame layout and grid frames then share them at a time!
Just use Free KabanVPN and get instant access to Hulu, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, BBC, ITV, Sky, RaiTV and much more! Click the button, then use a QR code scanner to download the app directly to your Android device.
Espirit de corps is a French term that translates as "group spirit." It describes the feeling of pride and honor that a group of people share and the identity they derive from it.
World War I hospital trains were equipped for the provision of healthcare while injured soldiers were being transported.  They ranged from very basic nursing and first-aid facilities to fully-equipped mobile medical centres that sometimes included operating theatres and nursing wards. Gangrene occurs when significant tissue dies as a result of injury or infection.  Such cell death, or necrosis, usually results from a reduction of blood supply to the tissue. During World War I, gas gangrene, caused by bacterial infection, complicated 6% of open fractures and 1% of open wounds. Even with advances in gas mask technology, poison gas easily penetrated gas masks and killed soldiers.  Many of those who survived suffered weakened lungs and died soon after the war of respiratory problems. Germany was formed in the nineteenth century largely through the military and diplomatic efforts of Prussia, which subdued and swallowed many of the other sovereign German states.
Seen as warlike and partly responsible for bringing about the two world wars, Prussia was abolished in 1947.  Much of its former territory is now in Poland. Breeches continued to be worn as a component of many military uniforms, particularly in association with riding boots.
Black pudding, blood pudding or blood sausage is a type of sausage made by cooking blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled.
In Europe, typical fillers include meat, fat, suet, bread, sweet potato, onion, chestnuts, barley and oatmeal, while in Spain and Asia, rice is used. My grandfather Thomas Beals was a Horseshoer in Veterinary Hospital No 15 in France during WW1. 15 was organized at Camp Lee, Va., on August 17, 1918, consisting of seven(7) Officers and three-hundred (300) Enlisted men of the Veterinary Corps and one (1) Officer and eleven (11) Enlisted men of the Medical Corps.
Shaffer, 2nd Lieutenant Commanding Officer was promoted to the grade of 1st Lieutenant September 11, 1918, to Captain September 17th, 1918 and to Major October 16, 1918. Burnett, 2nd Lieutenant at Camp Lee, appointed Adjutant and Quartermaster, promoted to 1st Lieutenant October 18th, 1918, and Captain February 27th, 1919.


Ellis, 2nd Lieutenant at Camp Lee, Supply Officer, promoted to 1st Lieutenant September 11th, 1918. Jandernoa, 2nd Lieutenant at Camp Lee assisted with company, drills, lectures etc., promoted to 1st Lieutenant October 22nd, 1918. Mosley, 2nd Lieutenant at Camp Lee assisted with Company, since arrival in France, appointed Mess Officer and in charge of ward of hospital. Greene, 2nd Lieutenant at Camp Lee assisted with Company, since arrival in France, in charge of ward of hospital. This consisted of lectures by the different officers on various subjects, and in drills, marches etc. Fire precautions were arranged for by having Pyrene extinguishers handy, and buckets filled with water.
The cooking is done by men who were cooks before coming into the Army, and though the variety is rather limited, the food is wholesome and well, prepared. Inspection are regularly made and lectures on venereal diseases have been given by the Medical Officer, A prophylactic station is maintained at the Camp Infirmary. Notice the building marked "Operating Room" on the left center of picture and the "Ward No. In this picture the operating room is to the right center in the picture and the "Dressing Station" is to the left center.
11, headquarters buildings, operating room, operating ward, stables, dressing station, disinfecting tanks on carts, and blacksmith shops. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group is a group of individuals that are concerned about the preservation of the History of the Veterinary Corps, Remount Service and Cavalry or wherever our country’s history is being lost in conjunction with our beloved “Horse and Mule”.
Many minor details that would be of local interest to this particular Hospital are left out, and we are confining ourselves to the larger and more important facts and experiences that inevitably come to an organization of this kind. Although her experiences, many of them, have been pleasant and agreeable, yet the most pleasant has been interspersed with hardships and trials, that at times insurmountable.
From that time to the present date (January 31, 1919) a steady stream of sick horses have been admitted to the 11th Hospital. The date of this migration is not known, but it was long before that of the Germanic Tribes who subsequently settled between the Vistula and the Rhine. There are no buildings on the north side of the road except two “Y” huts and a few tents occupied by some Officers and a Cavalry troop. In less time than two hours the Unit had reached the large rest camp located in the suburbs of Brest just beyond the old historical Pontananzen Barracks where four days were spent in tents surrounded with mud and water. The entire Command was immediately detailed to clear sites and put up barracks, stables, fences, etc., on the Remount site.
This was the third and last crisis in the History of the Hospital and lasted the entire month of October. Nazaire, for the next four months there was an Officer and from 50 to 75 men on the road with horses continuously. These have been in constant use and many difficult and delicate operations have been successfully made during the five months operation of the Hospital. Here each animal is cared for daily by an efficient Farrier who is under a Commissioned or non-commissioned Officer. Nowadays accidents occur in abundance, some similar incidents were reported today, ambulances are doing their job by carrying patients giving them first aid and leading them towards the emergency wards. Some parts of brain will be frozen by injection so that it won't be painful for the patient. Live, disinfected maggots (fly larvae) were inserted into the wound to feed on and clean out the necrotic tissue. The word comes from the French cervelas, which comes from the Italian cervellata (literally, pigs brains). It was technologically superior to the rifles of the French and British armies, with a faster loading mechanism. 331-Series D, December 31st, 1917, which consisted of one Sergeant 1st Class, six Sergeants, twelve Corporals, four Cook, twenty Farriers, ten Horseshoers, three Saddlers, eight Wagoners and Seventy-nine Privates 1st Class. Lately a chemical fire-wagon has been added – A Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief appointed. Hospital at Brest upon arrival, three privates and 1 horseshoer re-classified, one saddler, one farrier, four privates 1st class and four privates discharged on account of dependents. At one time the strength of Command comprised only 123 men and 3 Officers who had to do the work of 300 men and 6 Officers.
If hard work, persistent effort and clean character count for much, she will stand in the front ranks on real merit. The main line of the (P & O) Paris and Orleans Railway from Vierzon to Tours passes about one half mile distant from and parallel with this highway. A comparatively young, thick, stubby growth of old field pine extends along the north side of the public highway, which furnishes a wind brake for barracks, corrals and stables. In the centre are Headquarters buildings, dispensary, supply room, four dressing stations, operating room, blacksmith shop and forty stables accommodating fifty animals each. Immediately after organizing, the Unit moved from barracks to field tents where it remained for twenty days drilling strenuously and taking long hikes preparatory to embarkation.
The Veterinary men nailed on the first pieces of corrugated iron on the first S tables built at the Remount Depot. Every man was again called upon to do his best, for with the Hospital doubled and only the original Command to do the work, it meant again one man would have to be called upon to do two men’s work. About the 17th of December the 532nd Engineer Services Battalion (colored) with 243 enlisted men and four officers reported for duty. Supply Depot at Gievres, about three miles distant, has greatly aided both in its equipment and its operation, but the lack of motor transportation has worked quite a hardship on the Hospital in having to haul everything in wagons. The duties of the various grades as follows: The Sergeant 1st Class in charge of Office and routine work of the Company, one Supply Sergeant, the other Sergeants in charge of wards and assisting in general. And have had occasional entertainers put on a show, and once or twice a week a picture show. One Sergeant 1st Class and one private of the Medical Department discharged on account of dependents. This crisis came just at the time the first horses were being sent from the front for treatment.
Weather conditions have been very much against the rapid healing of wounds and the curing of Influenza cases. A small farm is situated between the southern boundary of the Hospital site and the Canal du Berry that runs practically parallel with the river Cher, which is a southern tributary of the Loire.
The west end is equally divided into three corrals with 290 feet mangers and large watering troughs in each. On July 9th, 2nd Lieutenant Summerville was promoted to 1st Lieutenant, and by July 25th some other changes had taken place in the staff. On August 10th the greatest change took place since the date of the Organization when the Unit was split in half, 153 men, 1st Lieutenant Summerville.
Two barracks and an Officers’ quarters were built by the Hospital force during the first few days. Men and Officers alike were proud of the already established record of mastering difficulties that seemed insurmountable in the two previous crisis, so every man fell in line and “delivered the goods”. This relieved the Hospital men of considerable fatigue duty that they had heretofore been obliged to do. For 83 days the daily average of horses cared for by each man, whether he worked in the office, cooked or dug post holes was 7.5 which is more than twice the number allotted by the Government in the organization of Veterinary Hospitals.
Leighty for the working out of a formula and a system of handling the dipping vat that has proved a great success. Then a Commissioned Officer in charge of a detail of men take the animals to a Remount or another Veterinary Hospital.
Too, the Medical attention of these two men has been very limited to the fact that for some reason no infirmary was established at this Post until December. This is a wonderful picture of VC No 15 of their last day at Camp Lee all packed up before heading to France. One Corporal in charge of the Mess, one detailed in the office, the others assisting in wards and in Company duties.
Since the arrival of the Chaplain there has been a small library started, which is to be enlarged as fast as possible, and a chapel and divine services are being held. The stables, barracks, etc., were not yet completed, in fact the greater part of the Hospital site was yet un-cleared.
The sandy soil with exceedingly rainy weather rendered it well nigh impossible to take care of the sick animals in the small space allotted for corrals, etc. On both sides of the highway is heavy growth of slender old pine, fifty or sixty feet tall, interspersed on the left side by an undergrowth of oak, and on the other side with scotch broom.


Until this was done all the Command occupied pup tents and large field tents pitched in a freshly cleared old field.
Each man however was looking forward to the dawn of a better day which began on the 3rd of November when Veterinary Hospital No 14 with a Command of 309 men reported for duty, but on Nov. More efficient drainage systems were worked out and altogether the 11th Hospital had for the first time plenty of men to do the work that had been done by the faithful few heretofore.
Lloyd who had also been in Spain on a similar mission but was not formerly of the 11th Hospital.
In the treatment of animals of this hospital, every disease common to horses and mules have been found except Azonturia. The animals are dipped three times per week for about four weeks at which time most of the cases are cured. Until the first horses received for treatment could be sufficiently cured to use, practically all business relations outside the post and inside had to be transacted over the phone or a trip made on foot. Sick call was held about ? mile distance at the Remount Depot prior to the establishment of the infirmary. One of the “Y’ huts is especially designed for theatrical performances, having a stage, piano and curtains. This is one of the units that I have not been able to find their location in France and I am hoping some relative who had a family member in this unit will be able to help us find out more about Veterinary Hospital No 15. February 18th, 1919 was transferred with his men to Sougy for temporary duty with Veterinary Hospital No. The entire Command was doing fatigue work, which consisted of digging pipelines, cutting trees. Much difficulty was experienced at first with sand colic owing to the fact that the animals had to eat off the ground.
Julius Ceasar spent 8 years of hard fighting (using ten legions) before subduing the barbarians. This together with telegraph lines on both sides of the straight, spacious, macadam highway, make a most picturesque perspective. McCormick and Low, with the original Medical detachment, were ordered to Gievres, France, the original destination planned for the whole Command. On August 16th Lieutenant Low with 30 men left for Prez-sous-Lafauche, Depot Haute Marne, where they remained until September 25th. The telephone was not installed until the last of October; Remount phone was used prior to this, 1 and a half miles distance.
The unit left the barracks on November 16, 1918 and arrived at Gievres, Loir et Chere on November 17, 1918. But as time went on, after a period of 83 days, three troops of the 6th Cavalry, two companies of the Engineer Service Battalion, and the 15th Veterinary Hospital came to our assistance.
Medical record shows a negative Venereal report from the date of the organization to the present date (July 5, 1918 – January 31, 1919) while other organizations under the same medical Officers show 11.44 men per thousand. All the Hospital buildings are located on the southern slope of an inclined alluvial plane, the apex of which is determined by the public road at its northernmost edge. During this time the remainder of the Command, 123 men and three Officers, were left to do the work allotted to 305 men and seven Officers.
Meanwhile on November 7th three troops of the 6th Cavalry, “A”, “B” and “D” with a total Command of 247 men reported for duty.
Baseball, football, basketball and other athletic sports, including bronco riding have been encouraged. The unit left the barracks on November 16,1918 and arrived at Gievres, Loir et Chere on November 17, 1918. Practically the entire work of building and getting the Hospital in shape to receive animals was done by the Veterinary Hospital men. The Cavalry exercised the animals; the Engineer companies relieved us of most of the fatigue duty and the 15th Veterinary Hospital assisted in the otherwise caring for the sick animals. There is a considerable slope southward from the highway to the canal, thereby affording excellent drainage for stable, corrals and barracks. The task of getting the Hospital ready to receive horses by August 20th was really a big one, for as yet no stables, or corrals were completed; the pipe lines were not even dug, the entire site was practically covered with bushes and scotch broom, but in four days time, August 20th, the Hospital was in shape to receive its first lot of horses which consisted of 152 unclassified animals. Quite often the boys hold riding exhibitions in the corrals that are equal to the average “wild west” show.
At the present time (January 31, 1919) the Hospital is in splendid shape with a most excellent system worked out for each department, under the supervision of a Commissioned or non-commissioned Officer. That this site has in some previous period been a Roman burying ground is evidenced by numerous Roman relics, pieces of pottery, coins, etc., having been unearthed here since and prior to the establishment of the Hospital. The soil is alluvium, composed principally of a fine loose sand which makes an unstable footing both summer and winter. Miles, a Medical detachment of eleven men and one Doctor had been added to the organization. Although this emergency was met successfully there was yet a greater one to be mastered, for by August 31st there would be for treatment 1035 animals, which was 35 animals more than the Hospital was designed for to care for when completed.
This is largely due to the untiring efforts of Major Summerville who is an excellent Veterinarian and does not only know the working principles of a Veterinary Hospital, but has almost unlimited energy and has expended it wisely and freely in his daily work as Commanding Officer of the Unit since the day of its organization July 5th 1918 at Camp Lee Virginia. Gievres and Chabris are located in the Chateau district of France and many of the oldest and most aristocratic families still live there. In dry weather the sand gets exceedingly loose on the top, to a depth of three or four inches, this makes it disagreeable and hard to travel over and in winter the fine sand makes kind of slush, owing to the abundance of rainfall, and therefore necessitates a deal of dragging, draining, plowing, rolling and other methods of policing to keep the corrals, stables, yards and avenues in respectable shape.
These and all the original Officers were retained for over-seas duty except 2nd Lieutenant Campbell and 1st Lieutenant Miles. These were really the trying days of the Hospital’s existence for both Officers and the enlisted men, but the men could depend upon to meet the emergency for they were experienced horsemen and cowboys of the pioneer families of the West, who had not only learned to master and care for horses but were familiar with the subsequent hardships. Simultaneously with the arrival of this detachment Captain Summerville was promoted to Major.
Looking southward down the main avenue of the Hospital proper, the view is very picturesque. They therefore mastered the task with apparent ease, each man doing more than two men’s work.
Twelve days later on November 25th Veterinary Hospital No 15, pursuant to orders, with a Command of 308 men, five Officers and a Medical detachment reported for permanent duty with the 11th Hospital. The twenty stables first built are arranges in the form of a Maltese cross while the 20 stables that were built last are to the right of the first ones and are arranged inwards that somewhat correspond to and resemble city blocks. On the evening of the 25th of July the entire Command hiked across the country about nine miles to City Point, Virginia and boarded two small vessels on the James river, the Pocahontas and Smithfield, and landed at New Port News Virginia just about sunrise on the morning of the 26th. From the date of the arrival of the 15th Veterinary Hospital the work has been done with a degree of satisfaction and ease. The high tension previously experienced for lack of men was thus relieved, notwithstanding the fact that the Hospital cared for more than its normal capacity all the while, and on December 15th had on hand 3211 animals, which was 1211 more than it was supposed to take care of. In the distant one can behold a most beautiful wooded alluvial plane, covered with green grass, the Canal du Berry and the river Cher running through it. The graceful curves of the canal are distinctly outlined by a species of poplar, tall and slender, planted equidistant apart on either side of the canal by some previous generation.
And on the 26th of August Lieutenant Summerville received intelligence of the fact that on the 26th of July the very day on which we embarked, he had been promoted to Captain. These trees are burdened with the sacred mistletoe which was considered by the Druids or nature worshipers, an emblem of immortality and as having great medicinal value.
The local inhabitants even now consider it most sacred and use it for decorating on the first of each New Year. In the afternoon August 6th, 1918 about 2 o’clock, land was visible on the distant horizon. Four days after the Hospital began acting independently of the Remount Lieutenant Cline was promoted to Captain and has been an efficient factor in the Hospital personnel as having charge of all the minor details from mess Officer to reviewing the entire technique of the workings of the Hospital.
He has been second in rank from the date of his promotion to the present (January 31, 1919).
By this time Lieutenant Low had returned from Prez-sous-Lafauche with his 30 men, and on Oct.
1st the Hospital had a reunion when Lieutenant Shaw returned from La Courtine with all of his 152 men except Private Arthur D.



Survival game novels zip
First aid pocket guide for class 10 64gb


Comments

  1. tenha_urek, 04.05.2015
    Between $5 and not cover your food with castings for nitro micro organism is 7.zero-7.5.
  2. Fitness_Modell, 04.05.2015
    From the get-go, I could throw a number of catfish and add extra bedding them.
  3. GameOver, 04.05.2015
    Philippines, and the United and at 600-650 pesticides and.