Us navy disaster preparedness,3 day survival kit australia,fema small business application,natural disaster survival kit - You Shoud Know

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld and Christoph Awender's WW2 day by day.
Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. This is what I would call a resume generating event, some one would have had to been sacked.
The photos are really excellent, some great close-ups of the ships after the grounding and the text goes into great detail about the navigation error, the rescue efforts and the Court Martials afterwards. This is one of the rare books that gives you a glimpse into the American Navy and its destroyers in the years between the world wars. The loss of the Meigs and her valuable cargoA  numerous questions in maritime circles, aside from the basic one of why the Gear, under contract to the U.S. HATTIE BESSE - The American bark Hattie Besse, from San Francisco for Burrard's Inlet to load lumber for Shanghai, was wrecked November 20th about twenty miles south of Tatoosh light. HECLA - American bark, 1,529 tons, while being towed to sea by the tug Richard Holyoke, struck Duncan Rock broadside, August 10, 1907, just a few days after the schooner Winslow hit the same obstruction near Tatoosh Island. IWANOWA - Iwanowa, American bark, was waterlogged and thrown on her beaxn ends in heavy squalls off Tatoosh Island, November 24, 1864.
JANE - The Jane was a motor vessel 33 tons, foundered on September 27, 1959, three miles off Tatoosh Island.
LAENNE -A  French full-rigged ship Laennec ( afloat in Finland as the training ship Suomen Joutsen ), Capt Guriec, arrived at Portland October 1 in damaged condition from Swansea via Hobart with a cargo of coal. LORNE - On February 18, 1911, a small gasoline boat carrying four men and one woman from the isolated light station of Tatoosh Island to the tug Lorne, anchored offshore, was overwhelmed by heavy seas, drown- ing Forrest Cowan, son of Head Keeper M.
MATTEAWAN - The 3,300-ton collier Matteawan, deeply laden with nearly 5,000 tons of coal, had departed Nanaimo the previous day.
MIA - Mia was a 37-foot pleasure craft, was rammed on July 29, 1967, in fog off Tatoosh Island, by the SS Hawaiian Citizen, commanded by Cap Frank H Hickler. NICHOLAS THAYER - This American bark, 584 tons, went missing with all hands after rounding Tatoosh Island en route to Seward, Alaska, from Seattle, in January 1906. PALESTINE - A sailing vessel of this name was reported to have been lost south of Tatoosh Island in April 1859. PERSEVERENCE - American brig, sprang a leak and began to sink 40 miles off Cape Flattery, September 15, 1861. SIERRA NEVADA - This American bark, 664 tons, sailed from Seattle, September 19, 1886, for San Francisco with a full cargo of coal. SURPLUS - American motor vessel, 16 tons, burned on October 3, 1961, one and a quarter miles south of Tatoosh Island.
SUSY LANE - American motor vessel, 30 tons, wrecked by stranding on reef off Tatoosh Island, August 5, 1951.
WEBFOOT - British bark, 1,061 tons, departed Tacoma for Callao with 862,000 feet of lumber, November 10, 1886.
WINSLOW - American four-masted schooner, 566 tons, plowed into Duncan Rock near Tatoosh Island, July 28, 1907. The 31st MEU produced and distributed more than 300,000 gallons of water combined at five sites and more than 70,000 meals.
The team was part of a larger federal response that included the Army, Air Force and Coast Guard, elements of which will remain on Saipan for the longer recovery effort. Posted on August 24, 2015 with tags Asia-Pacific, Disaster, Mission, Naval, Navy, News by topic, Relief, Saipan, US Navy. US Navy’s USS Ashland (LSD 48) is making preparations to get underway from Saipan Harbor Aug.
US Navy’s amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) departed Saipan on August 9.
The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG 67) arrived in Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands, Sept. Seventy years ago, the worst naval disaster in US history and worst shark attack ever were overshadowed by the dropping of the worlda€™s first atomic bomb over the Japanese city of Hiroshima. The connection between the two events was not immediately known a€”A not even to the shipa€™s crew. Just past midnight on July 30, 1945, a Japanese submarine torpedoed the USS Indianapolis, a Portland-class heavy cruiser, sinking it in approximately 12 minutes. Twenty-two-year-old Navy Seaman 1st Class Lyle Umenhoffer had also just been relieved of his watch and was laying down when the torpedoes hit. Umenhoffer just returned to his home in San Gabriel, California, from the four-day annual reunion of survivors in Indianapolis.
Reflecting on that fateful night when the Indianapolis sunk, Umenhoffer said he was all alone in the dark, oily water without a life jacket, and spent the next five hours swimming and trying to stay afloat. Theya€™d let the dead go, and the sharks would come; they had begun circling the first day. Twible said he feels the movie did an acceptable job, but no one from the crew was ever contacted. In 1997, after watching a€?Jawsa€? with his dad, an 11-year-old named Hunter Scott, now a naval aviator in San Diego, embarked on a crusade to clear McVaya€™s name.
At the Indianapolis reunion last week, 14 of the 31 remaining survivors attended the 70th anniversary commemoration and reunion. Although dozens of books and a few television movies have been made about the fateful ship, after 70 years the Indy is finally getting the Hollywood treatment with two upcoming films. This vessel, designed to operate with the Majestic between Tacoma, Seattle, Port Townsend, and Victoria, was 168 feet in length, 32 - foot beam, with 13 - foot depth of hold. Charles Hastorf, from San Francisco for Seattle, stranded two miles south of Tatoosh Island during a strong westerly gale January 10th.
In charge of Captain Gove and Engineer Williamson she was dispatched to Neah Bay to quell a disturbance among the Indians. MEIGS - Early on the same morning that the Dona Anita went down with all hands, the San Francisco tug Gear put out to sea from the Strait of Juan de Fuca in the face of gale warnings, towing the 622-foot troop transport Gen. The vessel came in too close to the land during a heavy fog, and as soon as the danger was realized the anchors were let go, but the chain parted and the vessel drifted ashore, striking heavily on a rock and parting amidships almost immediately, severely injuring two men.
In coming over the bar in tow of the Tatoosh in comparatively smooth seas, an apparent tidal wave suddenly made its appearance and swept completely over the vessel, breaking the skylights, flooding the cabin, and not only washed the two helmsmen from the wheel, but had all the officers and crew swimming around on the decks. This 324-foot steel vessel, one of the largest of the Pacific Coast coal fleet, was built in England in 1893 as the Astorian -Prince, but had come under American registry and was operated by J. In command of Captain Henry Smith, sbe had towed the British bark Dharra to sea, and after dropping the hawser bad come alongside to recover the heaving line. Bound for Victoria from San Francisco, the ancient, Dutch-built vessel carried merchandise for Chinese storekeepers. On the dark and stormy night of January 2 the 1,600-ton iron Norwegian bark Prince Arthur was just off the almost uninhabitedWashington coast north of Grays Harbor.

Eric Strandquist, caught fire off Cape Flattery while en route from San Francisco for Puget Sound laden with explosives and highly flam mable general cargo on December 16.
PLUMMER - This American four-masted schooner, 920 tons, departed from Everett, Washington, for San Pedro in December 1909.
She was a fishing vessel owned by Edgar W.Lane of Seattle and had been built just two years earlier. She was inbound under a full suit of canvas, Puget Sound from San Francisco, when she was caught in a severe storm while endeavoring to enter the strait. National ArchiveThe USS Indianapolis (CA-34), 1945, in the last know photograph of the great ship, just days before she sunk. Top row, left to right: Miles Spooner, Earl Riggins, Paul Uffelman, Giles McCoy, Melvin Jacob.
Many believe the Navy purposely delayed an official announcement for two weeks so it would be overshadowed by the news of Japana€™s unconditional surrender on August 15. NavySurvivors en route to the base hospital on Peleilu.It took a famous four-minute monologue in the 1975 summer blockbuster a€?Jawsa€? to bring long-deserved attention to millions of people who had never heard of the sinking of the USS Indy. His efforts, along with the testimony of several congressmen, resulted in President Bill Clinton and Congress exonerating McVay in 2000. Paul, San Francisco, she was later taken over by a single-ship company managed by Hind, Rolph and Co. Moody, a Bath-built Downeaster of 1882 belonging to the NorthwesternA  Co., made the passage of 1,350 miles from Puget Sound to Orca, Alaska in 10 days, in 1911. She was equipped with 44 staterooms and her fore - and - aft compound engine developed 800 horsepower, giving her a cruising speed of 13 knots. A heavy sea was running at the tune, and, when the vessel struck, a portion of the rudder was destroyed, rendering her unmanageable. A Clallam Indian had been killed by one of the Neah Bay tribe, and, when the agent arrested the murderer, his tribesmen forcibly released him. Several experienced mariners reported seeing the tug headed out with the transport on a short towline and an inadequate hitch. The heavy sea running prevented the crew from saving anything from the wreck except a few provisions. The license of Captain Michael Bourke of the Holyoke was suspended for a month as a result of the mishap, causing the Hecla to miss her charter. The wind failed to bring her about and she stranded right below the probing shaft of light from Cape Flattery beacon. She was on a northerly course, her officers seeking the beacon of the lighthouse on Tatoosh Island which would indicate the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the final lap of her long voyage from Valparaiso to British Columbia for lumber. Gilbert Yeates, she was off Tatoosh Island next morning, heeling badly from a heavy southwest sea. Captain Oscar Friedrich, her master, found visibility reduced to virtually nothing when the Winslow struck the rock, knocking a huge bole in her bows. On Saturday evening at the Garapan Fishing Base, they were still filling water jugs as the Marines were preparing to move back aboard Ashland. For the next four days, they would struggle against insurmountable odds, fighting off vicious shark attacks, dehydration, hallucinations, and starvation.
It wasna€™t until the next night when they were picked up by the USS Tranquility hospital ship that he realized his leg was torn up. The remarkable story remained mostly unknown, relegated to a couple paragraphs on the inside pages away from the bold headlines declaring the end of the war.
Another untitled movie, produced by Robert Downey Jr., is currently in development at Warner Brothers.
Arriving off Tatoosh Island waterlogged in December, 1913, from the Fiji Islands to Grays Harbor, she was taken in tow by the tug Tatoosh. KINNEY - An American bark, sailed from Port Townsend for Australia with lumber, November 20, 1886.
Those of a superstitious turn of mind were disturbed by two mishaps which marred her launching; the daughter of the Tatoosh Island weather observer, chosen by the people of Clallam County to christen their namesake vessel, missed the bow with the champagne bottle when the new craft slid down the ways with unexpected speed. The masts were cut away and three anchors dropped, but without avail, for she drifted ashore and was pounded to pieces in short order.
A messenger was sent to Steilacoom, and a lieutenant, surgeon and thirty-two privates were sent to Port Gamble by the Eliza Anderson. The Coast Guard does not investigate accidents involving naval vessels unless asked to do so, and the Navy made no such request, leaving many questions unanswered to the present day. The revenue cutter Lincoln was dispatched from Port Townsend to the scene of the disaster, but the survivors were picked up and taken to Portland by the steamer California. Cann, the pilot who was aboard bringing the vessel in, saw the huge comber coming and as soon as it had passed jumped to the wheel and took charge unill the vessel was over the bar. Bailey, Oak Harbor, with his son and Lieutenant Connnander George Lamm, abandoned the craft. The impact sprang the tug's stern and full steam was crowded on in order to beach her before she sank.
As soon as she began to sink, the crew made a rush for the boats, leaving everything behind. Both were fitted with eight single-ended Scotch boilers, delivering steam at 180 pounds working pressure. Strandquist headed the steamer for more sheltered water between Tatoosh Island and the mainland, where the fire was gotten under control after a three-hour battle. The men grabbed on to anyone they thought might help,a€? he said, and he told the survivorsA to tie their life nets together.
The third-generation Navy man was court-martialed in December 1945 for a€?failure to follow a zigzag course, therefore hazarding his ship.a€? Many believe he was made a scapegoat by the Navy, which denied his requests for an escort, failed to warn him of enemy hostilities in the area, and didna€™t notice the ship was missing.
The weather rising, she was abandoned by the crew, broke loose from the tow, and foundered. As the Clallam took to the water her ensign was unfurled, but upside down in the universal signal of disaster at sea. At this point they boarded the Cyrus Walker, equipped her with a couple of howitzers, and started for Neah Bay, arriving at the Indian camp at daylight. Meigs, formerly in layup at the Olympia Reserve Fleet and en route to the remaining West Coast reserve fleet at Suisun Bay near San Francisco. Naval personnel were dispatched to the scene to clean up the spill of heavy bunker oil and to guard the wreck, although no effort was made to salvage anything from it.
With a heavy swell running and no foghorn blaring on Tatoosh island, the vessel lost her bearings and was carried toward Vancouver Island. BuUt as coal burners, they were identified by their extremely tall funnels, which were later reduced in height after oil burners were installed in 1913. Hans Markusson discerned a light dimly visible on the desolate shore ahead and to starboard.

It was impossible to extricate the vessel, then waterlogged by the streams played into her holds from her pumps, and it was necessary to beach her. By November 12, the ship was sinking fast, so she came about and headed back into the strait.
With great skill the skipper kept his command off the treacherous Vancouver Island shores as they drifted northward. A month later, the lighthouse keeper at Cape Beale reported that an abandoned hulk came ashore near the cape. Peter Bergman commanded the ship on the voyage north, the average time for which, by sailing vessels of the fisheries fleet, was in excess of 15 days. The lieutenant and twenty men landed, but before reaching the camp a kloochman gave the alarm, and the Indians fled to the woods. No sooner had the tug and tow rounded Tatoosh Island than the wind and seas tore the big two stack transport loose and drove her ashore seven miles south of Cape Flattery. Subsequent winter storms have torn the ship into many pieces, with only a section of the bow and a mast remaining visible.
Both anchors were dropped in 20 fathoms on February 21, and a boat with four volunteers was sent to Neah Bay for help. The survivors rowed to Tatoosh Island, where they were picked up by the SS Sierra Nevada, Portland-bound. It was the light in the window of a cabin belonging to Ivar, Ole and Tom Birkestal, who were working a timber claim in that remote country.
The 23-year-old ship was grossly overloaded with 1,209 tons of coal and probably went down so fast there was no chance for the crew to escape. The next day the tug Tacoma found the vessel and towed her into Winslow, Washington, where costly repairs were made. If they didna€™t look too good youa€™d go over, and if they didna€™t respond, you lift his eyelid and touch his eyeball.
When a southeast gale came up, the vessel parted her anchor chains and went broadside on the rocks.
Their feeble light doubtless looked brighter than it was amid the surrounding unbroken darkness and the officers of the Norwegian bark made the fatal mistake of assuming that it was Tatoosh light.
These, with other captives, were conveyed to Tatoosh Island, where word was sent to the chief.
Although unmanned, the Meigs was carrying much material from the Olympia Reserve Fleet, including a steel harbor tug chained down on deck forward. Calhoun, prominent shipping man of Port Townsend, himself a victim of many tragedies at sea.
Both Condor and Matteawan signaled the Tatoosh light station as they cleared Cape Flattery and stood out to sea in the face of threatening weather. Built at Tacoma in 1886 as an American tug, she was later owned by the British Columbia Tugboat Co. The President was always a bit the faster of the two, and when the change was made to oil fuel she was able to do an easy 17 knots, while Governor's top speed was fifteen and a half. The yards were ordered around and the crew, made up largely of young seamen, responded smartly. The lumber laden vessel was sighted, just before Christmas, off Tatoosh Island, by the NYK steamer Kaga Maru and Hill's SS Minnesota. He came on board with about sixty of his followers, and they were promptly made prisoners in the lower hold.
The after part of the vessel wedged tight in the rocks and afforded a means of escape for crewmen. The chief was informed that, if he would give up the culprit and his rescuers and promise not to molest the agent, they would be released. President made a run to Nome following her arrival, breaking the record for that trade, as she already had on her voyage up from San Francisco, after which the two ships were put on the through run between Puget Sound, Victoria, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, a service which had been established shortly before their arrival. Under her bows, instead, lay a forbidding shore where breakers smash against great boulders and jagged rocks, hurling themselves against the sheer cliffs. After some parleying he consented, and in about two hours two of the guilty men and a brother of the murderer were surrendered.
Cutler of the Lorne dispatched a wireless message to the island canceling the trip due to the dangerous condition of the sea, but there was no time to deliver the message before the small boat had started on its ill-fated mission. It has been theorized that the two steamships collided during the storm, but wreckage of the Condor was later found on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, while that of the collier was picked up on the beach south of the Cape, indicating that the two were widely separated when they went down. The two excellent ships, operating on the expanded route, generated greatly increased passenger and cargo traffic, developing a heavy trade in citrus fruits between southern California and Puget Sound.
The iron bark, built at Birkenhead in 1869 as the British Hoghton Tower, struck on the offshore rocks and quickly broke in two, only the stern remaining visible.
The cutters Snohomish and Tahoma, plus the tugs Tyee and Pioneer, went out to search for the derelict. The burning, 30-year old hulk drifted off the strait entrance, and the wreckage washed ashore near Clo-oose. The exact cause of the dual tragedy remains among the many sea mysteries of the North Pacific. The only survivors of the 20-man crew were Christopher Hanson, second mate, and Knud Larsen, a seaman.
The wreck eluded the searchers and menaced shipping lanes until January 1910, when she was reported to have gone aground and broken up far to the north at San Josef Bay. After being washed ashore, Hanson found his way to the cabin of the Birkestal brothers and informed them of the wreck. They accompanied him to the beach and found Larson on the rocks nearly frozen.When news of the tragedy reached Seattle, Capt.
Shea, assistant marine superintendent of the company, commanded the Governor on her voyage from New York, being relieved by Capt. Johnson, a Seattle undertaker, sailed for Neah Bay, where an Indian guide was obtained and the party reached the Birkestal cabin through the forest. They cleared a 14-foot square plot on the cliff above the wreck, where the 18 victims were buried in a common grave, wrapped in a sail from the Prince Arthur. Both liners were equipped with Massie wireless telegraph equipment, and it is of historic note that the first commercial wireless message ever sent from a vessel on the North Pacific Coast was dispatched by operator Arthur A.
After their return to Seattle, these men met with Seattle Norwegians, who acquired title to the little burial plot and later erected a monument to their memory.
The monument still stands, marking the resting place of the crew of the Prince Arthur, which foundered January 2, 1903.

Click and go stroller
Ncdpi ready meetings
What should a business continuity plan contain
Emergency alert system test

Comments to “Us navy disaster preparedness”

  1. uyda writes:
    Placement of the creating thoroughness only helps have not located an answer.
  2. Anar_sixaliyev writes:
    Stocks wherein Enron's CEO profited in the amount of $103 earthquake would place.
  3. lowyer_girl writes:
    Specifically feel a connection to what they're saying very.
  4. AskaSurgun writes:
    Huddled about grandma and listened to stories from withstands higher earthquake.
  5. TuralGunesli writes:
    Security Circle About Your Instrument Through Woodwinds Insurance coverage By that EMP (electromagnetic.